26 July 2008

Elections

Voting is an important issue for me. I've only missed one election in over 30 years of being eligible to vote. Tribal elections were just held for the Minnesota Chippewa Tribe. Campaigns are pretty much over for most of the positions. There have been a couple Special Elections that are taking place. The national elections are set for this fall. Local elections are slated. The right to cast your ballot is one of the cornerstones of our nation.

I encourage people to vote. There are a number of sites on the web for people to register, to find out about the candidates. I encourage people to make up their own minds when casting ballots. I realize this is not as easy as it sounds. I've checked out a number of sites and it's confusing. The number of issues are mindboggling. Don't let this stop you from voting. You've made a comment regarding your viewpoint and have impacted the system.

Because of my experience on election boards, I haven't endorsed any particular candidate in the past. This year is different in that I am actively working on a campaign. It's been an experience that's given me a greater appreciation for those who do this constantly. I've worked on "Get out the vote" campaigns and this is the focus of my political leanings.