01 September 2011

Yay! We Did It

Yes! My first pair of Nikes. My sis and I finished our 56 miles this evening and got our shoes. They actually fit and my arches don't hurt. We will be starting our next 56 miles. Well, sis has started hers. I slept this afternoon after returning from the doings. She completed her miles this afternoon.

Nike started this program in 2007 for Native Americans across the US by giving a pair of shoes designed to fit our feet. Native Americans have high arches, wide feet and it's extremely hard to find shoes that fit. {Unless we wear moccasins which are specific to each foot.} There is a limit of three free pairs. It involves reaching goals to get our lives back to living healthy, eating right and exercising. There are two ways to get them: 1. For each 56 miles walked in 3 months, 2. Work with a doctor to set weight loss goals, lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels or whatever the doctor determines is needed to get healthier.

Diabetes is something we all live with; those who have it, those who are prediabetic, those who are at risk and those who support them. It affects everyone in our village in one form or another. One of the hardest to change is eating habits. One of our favorites is fry bread. Usually these are large, roughly about 4 inches by 6 inches. They are served at every feast, gathering and {when the maker feel like cooking} at home.

The first thing I had to do after a family member was diagnosed with diabetes, was attend a nutrition class. The way our family eats didn't have to be changed. We have always cooked only one full meal with "snacks" the rest of the day. I found the major thing was to make fry bread smaller. They actually measured my hands to show me what size was considered one serving. The sizes most people are used to are between 2 and 3 servings in one piece. Turns out my hand is just the right size which made measuring less difficult.

It took a while to get used to making them smaller. When I am asked to make fry bread for a feast or some doing, people comment on how small they are. I tell them they are correct servings for diabetics. I get "the look" from those who don't want to change their habits.

There was quite a bit of controversy when this program was first announced. One benefit of this program is the changes in the way shoe companies are making their shoes. There are more sizes available to choose from. I purchased a pair of shoes about two weeks ago. I thought "they fit" until I tried on my Nikes.

The shoes fit like moccasins. The most important was the arches, something I check for. Shoes will fit my foot size wise, then I find the arches are not right. They're too far forward, too far back or not high enough. I'd rather take shoes with arches that are not high enough to the other ones. My shoes are kicked off soon as I get in the door because my feet hurt. Not these ones.

When I put the other pair back on, I felt the difference. It's great to have shoes that fit. Miigwitch Nike.

[Disclaimer: I have not been compensated for this post, other than completing the requirements of Nike's program.]