13 October 2011

Of Goals, Objectives and Gremlins

During my perusal of the blogs I follow, mention was made of the annual event, NaNoWriMo, which I've taken part in every year since 2005. Got me to thinking that I have no plan for this year. Rarely had much more than a picture to begin with. I have a few ideas for this year, most of which introduce new characters in my world.

I've spent quite a bit of time developing that world. I have vague plans for a whole bunch of books, most of them stand alone. I thought about trilogies, series, etc. No can do. Unless following one or two people throughout their life is a series. There is so much more I have yet to learn about writing, genres etc.

Since I am a family historian of note within my family, I have a handy, dandy program called Family Treemaker. I've put most of the characters in there, added placeholders for a family which spans 20 generations. Fact I made sure to add: book/s I included them in. There is a section for notes which I have filled out with different items. I have included such things as news articles, photos of places and flora, fauna and sky shots for different characters.

When I think of the years I spent looking for a program to help me keep track of this family's books, I can only shake my head. The program has been sitting on my computer for the same amount of time that I have been doing NaNoWriMo. "Can't see the forest for the trees" or could it be "making a mountain out of a molehill." The only problem I have to deal with so far is whether or not to get another storage device to keep just this info and all my plots and schemes on. Now, I wonder about the makers of that program. Are they shaking their heads at some of the occupations-dreamcatcher or education-Protector?

Man, it's Thursday already. Four days left before I start the trip. My sister has kindly let me borrow her camera seeing's how the gremlins haven't returned my USB cord. I thought I had a button where I could "share it on FB." That button is nowhere to be found. Besides, the camera needs to be recharged. No charger either. I looked online for an extra one. Wouldn't you know it? Everyone in the United States who has bought this particular model also needs an extra charger/USB cord. Nary a one to be found anywhere until I happened to remember I have an ebay account. Yep, there is a couple there.

Makes me think someone had the foresight to buy up all the extra cords and chargers for this model expressly to sell them on ebay. Did those gremlins give that someone a hot tip after their various experiments with that black hole? Suspiciously close to the end of their tournament held a couple months ago.