25 April 2016

Unleavened Bread#

#AtoZChallenge
Unleavened bread.  Yep, I searched high and low for a food that began with today’s letter.  I searched my memory for how we used to make bread in the old, old days.  Don’t have an idea.  I do remember Auntie Vera making a flatbread of some sort.  Ahh, now I remember.  Mom tried to show me how to make it.  However, at the time, I was struggling to perfect my fry bread making skills, amongst other things.

When I was first learning how to cook, I didn’t even know there was such as thing as unleavened bread.  Even when I was taking that Home Ec class, I’m sorry to say that the light bulb stayed dark.  Fact, I must have been in a whole completely different room the day that unleavened bread was covered.  Didn’t find my way back until I struggled to make bread one day and found that there wasn’t even a dust mote of baking powder in the house.  Not even frantic forays to several houses in the vicinity turned up any baking powder, or even bread already cooked.  Now what?  We ate our soup without any bread that day.

So, I always make sure I have at least ten pounds of flour, one can of baking powder and some kind of lard, oil or grease with which to make fry bread when we forget to stock up on bread.  Even that doesn’t guarantee that I’ll make fry bread every day though.  Not sure why I don’t like making it every day.  Could be the fact that I have to stand for an hour cooking it.  Cause I try to make enough to last for the day.

Mom always tried to put it in a plastic bag so keep it soft.  I wondered why, then figured out it was cause I didn’t always make it big and fluffy.  I like crunchy bread.  Found out that not everyone shares my passion for the crunch.  Ahh well, guess I’ll have to rethink my position on it.  Will have to see if I can find any recipes Mom might have written down.  Still haven’t gone through every single bit of the papers she stashed in various places around the house.

When I find that recipe, or figure it out, I’ll try to make it a couple times.  Not going to spend a whole lot of time trying to cook it though.  Have much other things I’d rather be doing, most of which don’t have a bit in common with, wait, think it does have a lot in common with learning how to cook.  Must have direction of some sort, must practice, must come up with a final dish that one is satisfied with.  Traveling down some paths that are dead ends means one has to turn around and figure something else out.  Hmmm.  Unleavened bread doesn’t have as many ingredients as leavened bread.  Basics first, then one can fancy it up how ever one wants.  Must ponder this some more.